This Presentation is courtesy of Tony Withers, a Friend of Bristol Art Gallery
As well as the satisfaction of supporting one of the UK’s finest art galleries, Friends receive a great deal for their subscriptions:
- The Friends’ Bulletin: A quarterly magazine review of news, comment and details of forthcoming excursions, events and visits, plus booking forms. The Bulletin is also published on this website, two weeks after members have received it. (There is no facility for booking online).
- Lectures: Spring and summer lectures with lunch, and a series of winter evening lectures, usually in the Rear Hall of the Museum – all by experts in their fields. The annual Schubart lecture in September is free to Friends, with a small charge for guests and members of the public who join us after booking a place direct with the Museum. For all other lectures in the Programme the entry fee for members, guests of members, and the public is £3 each.
- Excursions: (Long): Visits to the National Gallery, Tate, Royal Academy and other venues for major exhibitions in London; visits to other galleries and museums in travelling distance from Bristol, to country houses and gardens (some not generally open to the public), and residential excursions to other parts of the country and occasionally abroad.
- Excursions: (Short): visits to places of interest; to the theatre and other cultural locations and events, within the wider Bristol area.
- Social events: These include the Spring lecture/lunch, a mid-summer Dinner, often in a period house, and the summer Lecture/Lunch at Trinity College Bristol. At Christmas there is a popular Carol Service at Redland Parish Church, Bristol, which is usually also attended by friends from the Friends of Bristol Museums Galleries & Archives (FBMGA).
- Special Talks & Tours of the Art Galleries, for members only, in the company of the relevant Curator responsible for the Gallery in which a particular talk is taking place. In addition, members are invited to “coffee in the Café” at 11.00am on the second Tuesday of each month for an update of what’s going on, with the Friends’ Chairman Joanna Brown.
All these activities present the opportunity to meet and talk with other Friends who share a common interest in, and concern for, the Arts.
Click on any of the Categories under Other Sections for a guide to our current activities and forthcoming events.
Why not join us now, just click on JOIN in the banner-head at the top of this page and follow the instructions. We look forward to hearing from you.
(Updated 9 October 2014)